Aug 17, 2006

Winnipeg Life Illustration

An assignment we had in school was to create a magazine cover illustration a'la The New Yorker. Our magazine is called Winnipeg Life.
We were to adopt a style of an existing illustrator so I picked Gary Baseman.
I think I captured his style in conceptual sketches (?).
We were to use a theme of recent events in Winnipeg news. I started out trying to comment on the smoking ban for all Manitoba public places that the provincial government was trying to pass. Another idea was to use the new red light cameras being installed in the city. People were worried that the cameras would start sending out tickets to motorists who did not derserve them.
My professor liked the idea of a traffic light holding a camera, so I went with it.
The final product did not have any "Baseman" likenesses in it, but I was happy with the end result.

No comments: